Urban Education Live final symposium and UEL Network Formation event 14 – 15 December 2020
UEL is happy to announce the Urban Education Live Final Symposium 2020. We kindly invite everyone to join our event on 14th and 15th of December 2020, to exchange our thoughts on the advancements of the consortium, on the current state of live education and to give a start for the new UEL working group within the International Network for Urban Research and Action (INURA) collectively.
After more than two years of research, we have reached some conclusions that point towards the academic environment and new roles that the universities can have, together with other urban stakeholders, for more inclusive processes of city transformation. We also realized the need for a wide interdisciplinary international networking for the Live Education projects and practitioners, and our team needs your perspective to give it a start.
We came across challenges against more interdisciplinarity – and the division in faculties / departments / study domains / disciplines needs to be tackled if the academic world is to be more relevant to urban communities.
We have seen that, in general, there are difficulties of getting recognition within the university for live projects in which direct relation is established between an urban community and the students and their teachers.
We have observed very rare occasions when a local community establishes the agenda of the research in the academic world – in most cases, the local communities are objects of research, not drivers or partners.
Please, register through the following link and join any of the symposium blocks on the 14th and 15th of December: https://tuni.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_NiAkAPzZR6-St08b5jYXjA
During the symposium we will collaborate with participants in different interactive sessions, so we invite you to explore our Miro boards already now, by the following link: https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_lcfJ6Qo=/
Symposium programme, all times are in EET (GMT+2) time zone:
14th of December
16:00 – 16:30: Introduction to the UEL and INURA
16:30 – 16:45: Break & short films from Sheffield
16:45 – 17:45: UEL Sheffield:
- ‘Liveness’ and the university:
What does it mean to be a ‘live’ university?
- The local hub:
What are the untapped potentialities of local hubs?
- Next steps:
How can the network support the development and sharing of knowledge about local hubs?
17:45 – 18:00: Break & short films from Tampere
18:00 – 19:00: UEL Tampere:
- Capacity Building 1:1
- Digital and mediated co-creation
- Discussion: Which online and offline practices could be integrated in study programs to engage students and universities in urban capacity building?
19:00-19:15: First day wrap-up
15th of December
16:00 – 16:15: Introduction to the second day
16:15 – 16:30: Break & short films from Ljubljana
16:30 – 17:30: UEL Ljubljana: The new roles of the University
- “A virtual walk” – round table with stakeholders from local community
- Presentation of former Tobacco Factory case and involved stakeholders – the importance of site to the UEL
- Discussion with local stakeholders, university actors and NGOs regarding the participatory practices and local development in relation to UEL
- Q&A session
17:30 – 17:45: Break & short films from Bucharest
17:45 – 18:45: UEL Bucharest: Beneficiaries of the new roles of the university
- Brief chronology of UEL in Romania
- Engaged teaching and social mapping
- Bottom-up within the university with pressure from extra-curricular activities
- Inclusiveness – reaching to all voices in a local community
- Expectations and involvement in the new roles of professionals
- Conclusions and invitation to continue in the working group
18:45 – 19:00: Break & Miro boards overview
19:00 – 19:45: Discussion: UEL workgroup in INURA
19:45 – 20:00: Symposium wrap-up